Student Ministry @ Mt Zion is a Priority
We believe in equipping the next generation to live out their faith day by day. This is why we encourage our students to not only attend the youth group, but to join one of our weekly Community Bible Studies (CBS, for short) , participate monthly in service projects, yearly retreats, mission trips, & grow deeper in the Scriptures at our Sunday Morning Bible & Breakfast.
Keep reading below to find out more about each of these opportunities!
- June 13th senior luncheon after 11 o’clock service. For me details or if you have a senior in high school or college, reach out to Andrew Patterson - students@MZprays.org and give my number
- June 14th 4-7pm - FCA sponsored Celebration for high school students at Brooms Bloom, free ice cream, corn hole tournament. If you have a high schooler who wants to go and participate in tournament, reach out to Andrew Patterson (same info) - they MUST be in high school this year
- SonSpot - Aug 1 - Aug 7th - any one in high school interested in going and serving, must apply. Application coming soon - Reach out to Andrew Patterson for more details
- Youth Group summer events!! If you want to stay updated for your middle school or high school child, reach out to Andrew Patterson to be apart of text message updates
Connecting Groups are a great way for students to engage their faith & grow deeper in a small group of peers
All groups are lead by 2 adult team leaders. We currently have 8 groups (both middle & senior high). The groups meet on various nights throughout the Harford County area. If you aren't yet in a group, we would love to have you!
Thursday Evenings from 6:00 pm - 7:15 pm, Outdoors, Middle School Students (6th - 8th grade)
The night is jam packed with great worship, attention grabbing lessons, games, & of course, snacks! Please join us & bring a friend, it's a blast!
Thursday Evenings from 6:00 pm - 7:15 pm, High School Students (9th - 12th grade)
This is a great place to grow in the community with one another & deepen your faith. The night begins with a time of worship, followed by an interactive lesson. Afterwards, there is a time for sports & snacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are adult leaders chosen to serve in the youth ministry?
Any adult that serves in our youth ministry has to become Safe Sanctuary Approved. This means that they answer questions regarding their faith, and purpose for wanting to serve as well as a background check. Adult leaders are also required to be engaged in the life of Mt. Zion, and seeking opportunities to deepen their own faith.
What is the best way to receive information about all that is happening in the Mt. Zion Youth Ministry?
We try to have multiple options to receive information. Contact Andy McMullin to get on the weekly email distribution list (firstname.lastname@example.org). We have a Facebook Page that is geared towards parents- Mt Zion Youth and we have an Instagram that is geared toward youth @mtzionyouth
What are Third Thursdays?
Our senior high youth group meets on Thursday evenings. Every Third Thursday we change the format, make a greater effort to invite teens from the community. Basically, we really make a big effort to get people in the doors so that we can build relationships, and we don't advertise it as a religious time for that evening. We still meet at the same time, 6-8:30pm
What curriculum is covered during a given year at Youth Group, Bible and Breakfast and Youth Connecting Groups?
The Bible offers a lot of material to cover. We ask the Holy Spirit to teach us God's Word. We have a variety of topics we like to cover in a given year (Genuine Faith, Spiritual Disciplines, Moral Boundaries, Healthy Friendships, Wise Choices, Service Oriented). However, we always keep the Gospel Message front and center. We never want to let a week go by that we are talking and sharing about what Christ has done for us in His crucifixion and resurrection.
What is our Youth Ministry Mission statement?
We will love God and love others. We will strive to show the world Jesus's way. We will encourage others in His name. We will help each other grow in Christ.
Does the schedule change in the summer months?
Yes, starting in the month of June our schedule changes. We do not have weekly senior or middle high youth group meetings and Youth Connecting Groups take a break in the summer. We still have Bible and Breakfast Sunday morning. Our summer time is extremely busy at Mt. Zion. Mission trips, camps, weekly fun activities (like Guppy Gulch!), and more. All weekly Youth Groups start back up at the end of August or beginning of September.
When will we get back to our normal schedule and meet indoors?
We are meeting in person now. Join us!
For more information, please contact
Andrew Patterson, Youth Director
or (443) 466-1319
If you are over the age of 18 & God has placed the youth on your heart there are two very important ways that you can get involved:
1. All of our youth are covered in prayer by member's of our congregation. If you would like to sign up to pray for a youth member, please let us know.
2. If you would like to volunteer as a Youth Leader, Community Group Leader, or if you have an idea for a service project, please feel free to contact us.
**Please note that all adults who work with any of our youth or children have been through a complete background check & always serve in pairs. The safety of your children & teens are a priority at Mt Zion.